Thursday, February 4, 2010

I finally saw Avatar.

I finally saw Avatar. It was better than I had expected. There were obvious and clear parallels between the story and the Bush era war on terror mentality, lingo and actions. The same exact words were used. No subtleties were intended here, that made it funny. Also, there were parallels between the treatment of Native Americans and the aliens in this movie as well as other colonized nations in the world. The word savages was used a good number of times among other similarities. I liked the world and life of the aliens. It was beautiful, holistic and complete within itself. They had done a good job in creating a different kind of life and reality. The movie was visually amazing. And the love story brought tears to my eyes. I think, I'm liking James Cameron. He is not bad looking for an old guy either!

One of my followers who reads everything I write told me today that he thought this entry was terrible. He said that I had reduced myself to writing the obvious about some blockbuster movie. I totally agree with him on this. I told him, I was writing this on FaceBook, but I ran out of the allowed number of characters to write, so I posted it here for my FaceBook friends. My next entry will have more depth. I will reach into the depth of my soul to write my next post! That might be scary! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may find Avatar exactly parallels the story of Pocahontas and Capt. John Smith.

Soheila said...

Interesting!

tdfreeman said...

I disagree that this is a terrible blog entry. I found it honest and refreshing, as well as a bit of a break from the more serious entries.... Sometimes one of those Big Macs can satisfy better than a gourmet meal in a five star restaurant.
"If you are writing about baloney, don't try and make it Cornish hen, because that's the worst kind of baloney there is. Just make it darn good baloney." -Leo Burnett