Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye"

The song “Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye” by Leonard Cohen touched my heart. I hate saying goodbye when a relationship is over, even when it seems like the right thing to do. And goodbye doesn’t always mean that there is no love. In this song, the words “Walk me to the corner Our steps will always rhyme” speak to me of a constancy, a connection that will never go away despite all else that may change in two people’s lives. Walking to the corner signifies the very end of a relationship when the moment of saying goodbye is approaching. And the words “You know my love goes with you As your love stays with me” speak of the transcendency of true love and at the same time of inevitable separation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jexNsBjz1r8


Part of the Lyrics

...Yes, many loved before us
I know that we are not new,
In city and in forest
They smiled like me and you,
But now it's come to distances
And both of us must try,
Your eyes are soft with sorrow,
Hey, that's no way to say goodbye.

I'm not looking for another
As I wander in my time,
Walk me to the corner
Our steps will always rhyme,
You know my love goes with you
As your love stays with me,
It's just the way it changes
Like the shoreline and the sea,
But let's not talk of love or chains
And things we can't untie,
Your eyes are soft with sorrow,
Hey, that's no way to say goodbye…






No comments: